To keep you safe and well-prepared on your adventures at Tomjachu, and in the surrounding area, we have prepared a few tips to help you get the most out of every moment on your journey.
When on nature drives…
remember to bring your sunhat, sunglasses, warm jacket, binoculars and your camera to capture unique moments out on the reserve. Our nature drives take place in our 10-seater Land Rover early in the morning or in the evening, when the reserves many inhabitants are most active.
When hiking or on a guided walk…
don’t forget to bring along your hiking boots, backpack, water, and sunblock, as the midday sun can leave you a bit breathless. Always stay on the roads, tracks and trails – going off road can get you lost and can damage the fragile environment. Nothing beats an early morning hike through the wilderness!
When biking the trails…
always remember to stick to the trails and only go as fast as you can handle. Bring along the map of the reserve from your welcome pack – our trails are marked for easier navigation, but just in case. Then all you have to worry about is bringing your cycling gear (helmets are a must), water, and sense of adventure!
When bird watching…
remember to bring your birding checklist (or enquire about a list at our receptions area), binoculars and be sure to dress in neutral tones so that you don’t startle our feathered friends.Then just enjoy your time roaming around the property in search of birds – we recommend early mornings when the birds are most active.
bring along your own tackle for bass and bream fishing, or you can hire our equipment. All hooks must be de-barbed, and please do not leave any fishing line or rubbish on the banks. It may be tempting, but please also do not swim in the dams for your safety. For conservation reasons, we have a strict catch and release policy. Happy fishing!
- Bring all required medications to ensure your health and safety while on holiday
- Lowveld seasons:
Rainy Season (Summer) = Sept – March
Dry Season (Winter) = April – August
- The Lowveld traditionally has hot summers and mild winters, with temperatures ranging from 8°C – 35°C, averaging around 23°C
- Plan outfits in advance based on season location and activities
- Be flexible with what you have planned to do
- Remember to bring extra camera batteries and don’t forget your charger!
- Always enquire beforehand about disabled accessibility
- Keep seasons and expectations of set activities in mind when planning your itinerary
- Pack the bug repellent
- Don’t forget your bathing suit for those days you want to work on your tan
- Always try to get to your next destination in daylight – it is much easier to get lost at night!
- Don’t rely on your GPS! Always also refer to a map or call ahead for directions
- Keep an open mind and enjoy the experience!
For more tips or any enquiries on your ventures at Tomjachu Bush Retreat email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that every moment spent with us is one to remember.